Having started this journey back in September of 2015, we can rest a bit easier now that we are seeing some signs of progress. Our remodel plans included adding a third sawtooth addition to the rear of the home, remodeling the kitchen & master bath, replacing both the front porch and the backyard deck, replacing the decaying fences that surround our property, and even a complete overhaul of the existing foundation. Considering that roughly 70% of our home is well over 100 years old, we really haven’t run into any snags or hiccups since we started construction 15 weeks ago. We’re finally at the point where we can begin to share some before & after photos. Let us know what you think!
The kitchen lies in the rear of the house and faces the back yard. It’s the main entrance to the rear deck and pool, and also the focal point of the interior space. It was an addition to the historic main part of the house that was probably constructed sometime between 1940 and 1960. The irony of this “new addition” is that it was the most poorly constructed part of the house. In the original part of the house, the round pegs can still be seen holding the original mortise and tenon joinery together. Although the original studs and joists have been reinforced many times over the last 100+ years, the quality of the original woodwork is still visible. Unlike this historic carpentry, the kitchen addition was built with sloping floors, uneven walls, and a general feeling that the builders didn’t have quite the same skill-set as their forefathers.
The Kitchen: The goal was to add a third sawtooth roof to the rear of the house. The peak of this third roofline would be half inside and half outside, drastically increasing the ceiling height both inside the kitchen, and outside over our new deck. We raised the ceiling about 7 feet and added a transom window above the door. We also added the collar ties that can be seen extending through the wall above the new transom window. We leveled the sloping wood floor and added a subfloor and new tile. Here’s both the before and after photo:
Next Time: Before & After Photos of the New Covered Deck